Saturday, November 28, 2015

How to Make Character Boards on Pinterest

Everyone knows Pinterest is a great place to pin all your interests from seven-layer turtle cake to DIY Christmas table runners. And if you're a writer, you probably have an inspirational board all about the craft of writing. Boards like this one, full of tools, make Pinterest a writer's best friend instead of a time-sucking frenemy.

With my current WIP, I've created some helpful boards on Pinterest separate from all my favorite writing pins: character boards.

A character board is a board all about--you guessed it--your character. Here, you'll pin anything and everything about your character to build a solid reference spot. During NaNoWriMo, I realized I didn't know what the perfect gift would be for one of my characters. So how did I decide? Pinterest, of course! I perused "popular" pins until something jumped out as the perfect gift, pinned it to my character's board, and voila. Suddenly I knew all about this other interest of hers.

What exactly can you add to a character board? Anything you want. But to get you started, here are a few ideas.

1. People who look like your character.


2. Clothes your character would wear.


3. Quotes that show your character's values, beliefs, and worldview.



4. Your character's obsessions, interests, and hobbies.


5. How your character's house or bedroom looks.


If you want to see the full board for my MC, Colby, you can go here.

What else would you add to a character board? Please share in the comments!

Cheers,
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment