Tuesday, December 27, 2011

What about the teens?

I think we all know: The YA online writers community is kinda huge and amazing. It's awesome to see so many people excited about the same things I'm excited about.



We talk a lot about how YA isn't just for teens. We discuss how incredible it is to be an adult and still read YA. Authors, book bloggers, agents & editors talk about what we want to see in YA books, what we're tired of seeing. But sometimes I think: maybe we take it too far.

I think maybe we're so focused on what we (people who are not teens) like and what we want to see, we lose focus on the teens - our target audience. YAtopian Wendy and I were discussing this a few weeks ago and she said, "Sometimes we forget who the YA target audience REALLY is, and that we need to stay in touch with the youth and the fads they're living, etc."

With that in mind, I will be launching a new monthly feature here at YAtopia called Teentopia, where I will interview average* teen readers about books, reading, trends, etc. I'm trying to make these interviewees as diverse as possible, so please let me know if you know any teens who would be interested!

The first interview will be up in January, so keep an eye out!

*I know there are some teen book bloggers - but these voracious readers are also kind of an exception. Personally, I'm most interested in hearing from casual readers, ones who have no idea what "voice" means and know nothing about how the publishing industry works.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my!
    I'd love to be interviewed!
    It'd be such an honour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I'm a teen but I guess I wouldn't be considered as a regular one seeing as though I'm a writer as well. I would love being interviewed though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's actually a pretty good point. As an adult, I love reading YA but I approach it with a slightly more mature point of view. It'll be interesting to hear what the teens actually have to say - but to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if a number of them have the same opinions as the adult readers. Good books are good books, no matter how old (or young!) the reader is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat - totally agree that "taste" has no age limit. :) I guess we're thinking along the lines of fads and dialogue, and making sure YA is hitting its mark.
    I'm so excited for this feature! I have a 15-year-old casual reader sister who devours books I give her, but she's not aware of the online writing/reader community. She'd be a perfect candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loved 2 be intrviewed / 20 in 4 months almost a adult/i'm growing up aaaah

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea. I always pick the brains of teens when I meet them, about books, about school, what they are interested in. One of the reason I write for and about young people is that I find them so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally think along these lines sometimes. I often wonder if YA has kind of lost sight of who it's really aimed at.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds awesome, I can hardly wait for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd offer myself up as a 14yo, but... I don't think I qualify *cough*blogger & writer*cough*

    ReplyDelete